Thursday, March 29, 2018

Review: Code Girls

Code Girls: The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers Who Helped Win World War IICode Girls: The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers Who Helped Win World War II by Liza Mundy
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Code Girls break the code

Code Girls is an excellent "read" and I'm glad I didn't pass it up.

My mom worked in Communications in WWII (though on the Canadian side of the border), so was always curious about what she really did. There were many parallels with the story of the women in this book, which I enjoyed.

Regardless, it's a fascinating story. The lives these women led, and the very real contribution they made ~ for which they were never recognized ~ made for a good book. The details on how they broke the codes - and how complex they were - largely kept my attention. As I read other reviews before I purchased, I intentionally did not try to keep the women straight, and it was fine.

For the last 1/3 of the book, I was falling asleep with it at night, and although I set the sleep timer, I kept needing to rewind. As a result, I felt the same stories were being told over and over again... I don't know how much of that was repetition, and how much was my dozing off. But the end of the book wrapped up well. Very insightful.

See the great pictures on author Liz Mundy's website

View all my reviews

No comments: